Thursday, February 21, 2008

Of Blogs and Websites and Trailers and Other Things Promotional

If you haven't realized it yet, I have a book coming out this year. Specifically, Every Secret Crime which will be published in June. It's the second in a series about a Chicago TV reporter who sticks his nose into all sorts of places where it's not welcome. Sort of like what I did for twenty-five years or so.
What amazes me are all the opportunities available for self-promotion. Much as I detest narcissistic people, I fear I am in danger of becoming one the more I shamelessly talk about myself. But there are so many avenues open for me to do so. And hey, I've got to hawk the darn book don't I?
Take this blog for example. As little as six months ago, I could swear I heard myself say, "I'll never write one of those things. It's so arrogant!" Yet, here I am.
But first came my website at http://www.everysecretcrime.com/ . First time around, with my first book, Deader by the Lake, my friend and fellow author Linda Mickey created the site and did a fine job. She has her own writing and business to worry about so I hired a web designer (the incomparable, feline-loving web-mistress Beth Tindall at cincinnattimedia.com) and she produced a site that amazes me every time I go look at it. We have filled it with magazine articles about me, interviews with me, photos and information and, if I am fortunate enough to be invited to book signings, we will list those, too. Me, me, me it's ALL ABOUT ME!
Another thing I'm excited about is the video trailer. Suggested to me by my friend Anne Brown, it's very similar to the trailer for an upcoming movie. It's also eerie with a great little soundtrack. Anne and her husband Aaron did a magnificent job translating my wishes into pictures and sound.
Like I said. So many opportunities. And as for book signings, I have one scheduled next week at Elmhurst Public Library. If you'd like to join us, it's at 7pm on Weds. In addition to reading my words about me here in this blog, you can hear me talk about myself live and in person.
What fun!

No comments: