Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Book Tour Update

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks here in book tour land. But never better than in Kansas City and Topeka over the last weekend.

Many thanks to my friend Joe Zima for standing nearly two hours at the front of the Barnes and Noble store in Zona Rosa handing out bookmarks and talking people into stopping by the signing table. I'm not sure how many books I sold as a result but he sure did a great job. It was delightful to meet a fellow mystery author, too. Rebecca Hale has written How to Wash a Cat and started her own publishing house to bring it out. It was fun to have a dual signing. I also got a chance to visit with my longtime broadcasting mentor, and the best radio reporter I've ever known, Dan Verbeck and his lovely wife Sylvia.

In Topeka on Sunday, oh my gosh. It was like old home week. Friends I haven't even talked to in more than twenty years turned out and, at one point, I was surrounded by probably a dozen people. Joe was again on duty and ushered at least half a dozen people over to buy books.

There are few better reasons to go on a book tour than to renew friendships. Thanks to everyone who stopped by. I'm just sorry I couldn't spend more time visiting. Two and a half hours really speed along when you're having a great time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every Secret Crime is the hands down, finest novel of its genre since I put down Eric Ambler and Chandler. That puts it in my elite class. ( About once a year I drive by the La Jolla cottage where Chandler lived it out and remember Neil Morgan's note(San Diego Trib) from years ago that the liquor store truck delivered a case of Rose's lime juice (tm) once a week or so...and marvelled that he lived long as he did.) Doug and I have known each other for decades and I never knew him to be other than a fine broadcast man. So he's fooled me again. And it's good. If you haven't picked up this one he's crafted, get it for a snowy night when the wind howls and you don't want to go outside for another armload of stovewood. Brew some double strength coffee and plan to stay up all night. You'll have to because he doesn't just end it: this book shudders up to one climax and then does it again, and again. He wrings every drop out of the phrases of which you didn't ken along the way. Damn, it's good!
Dan Verbeck