Friday, January 15, 2010

A Friend Died for the Second Time Today

This time, he won't be coming back.

John McElroy would have been 66 on his birthday at the end of February.

He and I were friends for thirty of those years.

He taught me good habits as a cop (except that he drove faster than any human being ever drove a law enforcement vehicle), told great stories, endured many of mine, made me laugh and finally, tonight, made me cry.

John was a stalwart and caring friend. He seemed to know just when to call to keep me out of trouble and listened with interest and good humor, no matter how bizarre the tale I told him. His adventures, on the other hand, always made me grin. In fact, if I answered the phone and heard, "It's McElroy..." I knew I could expect a treat: wonderful conversation, rapier wit and the kind of warmth that can only come from a kind, kind heart.

John died for the first time a number of years ago.

He had a heart attack while teaching a class as an agent of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation. He was dead several minutes before being shocked back to life with emergency gear that had been installed just days before at the Highway Patrol Academy.

Later, eyes twinkling, he would tell me he'd died but was "rejected" and "sent back."

John's "death" and a continuing heart condition led to an early retirement from the KBI. He went on to become Executive Director of the Kansas State Gaming Agency, as well as an active sailor, RV enthusiast and fan of Segway scooters. In fact, John set legal precedent when he sued for Segway access to a Topeka shopping mall.

I had the good fortune of talking with John at least weekly, sometimes more often, in the months since he was diagnosed with stomach, esophageal and liver cancer in August. I learned four important things during our talks. Though one tough and unyielding old bird in most ways, he was a devout Christian. He accepted his fate and wasn't afraid to die. And he promised to keep laughing at me from Heaven every time I mess up.

John died this morning in hospice in Topeka. His wife, Martha, tells me he was at peace and that his last words were, seemingly out of nowhere, "Yes, yes."

I have no doubt whatsoever that means he wasn't "rejected" this time.

Rather, I know John accepted the Lord's invitation to join Him in a place where he will have the wind at his back, his sails crisply trimmed and his favorite beverage close at hand.

Go with God's Hand on your shoulder, my friend.

I await your laughter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words about John, he was my high school sweetie and we have kept in touch on and off over the years. He did in fact get a second chance and I think he used most of that time wisely. He fared well once he moved out of North Dakota, which is where his incredible work ethic came from. He loved to drive fast long before he was an engineer, trust me!! Thank you again..I will look for your book/s. I would love to make it to the memorial service.
Joelle Pehrson (joellepehrson@att.net)

Doug M.Cummings said...

Joelle...If John drove fast that young, I'll bet it was a terrifying experience (but fun)!

KEY...if you were attempting to be cryptic, I guess you succeeded.

Anonymous said...

Doug, thanks for the great words on John. I associated with him through our work with Indian Gaming, him for Kansas, me for the Feds. But, I considered him a friend more importantly. We had several talks about life and faith after he told me of his diagnosis. I especially appreciate hearing of his last words..."yes,yes". So positive and reassuring. He will be missed.
Thanks again,
Brian