Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Christian Right's Rush to Judgement

I sure don't like Rush Limbaugh.

I used to listen because I met him a couple of times when I worked in Kansas City radio and he seemed like an interesting and funny guy. That was before he created the persona we all see and hear today. Worlds of difference.

A couple of my former colleagues who knew him well back then tell me he tried out many different "acts," trying to find one that would win him celebrity status. I've always believed this is the one that stuck. It works for him. It may well have radically changed his personality. So be it.

Some say he's "just an entertainer." Makes no difference. People rely on him to tell them how to vote and then they follow through.

It really disturbs me how his agenda, which is mostly interchangeable with that of the so-called Christian Right, regularly rips on women, minorities, and those whose beliefs don't fit their mold.

It's fine for a church to tell its members how to behave in matters of theology. It's wrong to believe government should have the power to do so as well.

Those who believe birth control is wrong should not practice it(they are frequently called "parents" by the way). Those who believe sexual activity, other than for procreation, is wrong should not fornicate. Those who believe abortion and homosexuality are sins are absolutely entitled to those views.

As philosophies, as religious tenets, that's fine.

Just don't enact laws that force me to embrace those views.

No comments: