Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Shameless Self-Promotion

I enjoy promoting my books almost as much as I enjoy writing them. C'mon, who doesn't get a kick out of talking about what they do? Okay, I'll re-state that. Other than secret agents and government employees with TS or above clearance level, curently employed undercover cops, crooks planning a major heist, serial killers and some just plain shy and/or grumpy individuals, who doesn't like to talk about what they do? Even some of them might like to talk but someone else would probably have to kill them for doing so.

For example, I'll share that I'm very excited to discover that my new book Every Secret Crime is available for pre-order on Amazon.com. With a five-percent discount, too. As of the last time I looked the image of the cover wasn't up there yet (you can see it if you scroll down here on the blog) but you can still order it just the same. Please feel free to go and do so now, then you can come back and finish reading. http://www.amazon.com/Every-Secret-Crime-First-Mystery/dp/1594146659/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205946244&sr=8-1

Self-promotion is an art. Some other authors I know, Joe Konrath being the most notable, will go to any lengths to sell books. A couple of years ago, Joe embarked on a cross-country driving tour of hundreds of bookstores. I don't know how he did it. Most of us either hire publicists or just pass out as many catchy bookmarks as we can at book signings, conferences, writers workshops and in return mail with our bills. Actually, I thought I was the only one who did that until I saw an article in a newsletter about it. I like to think of the guy at the gas company opening the envelope and getting one of my cool, crime-scene-tape bookmarks to put on his desk or cubicle. Or the billing person at the hospital holding up the distinctive yellow card and exclaiming, "Now ain't that cool!" Basically, with all the junk mail companies send along with their bills, it just feels good to give back a little, you know?

One area I know very little about is online marketing and promotion. While my friend, Anne Broksecker, crafted a wonderful video trailer to promote Every Secret Crime (watch it below), we need to make it more available. If you have a blog or a website with room for a YouTube video, please let me know. You gimme space, I'll give you a copy of the book. How's that?

Similarly if you know of any other venue where a crime novelist might be able to shamelessly promote his work, pass it along and gitabook for your efforts on my behalf.

And check out Amazon.

No comments: