Saturday, July 11, 2009

Check Out That Booty!

I'm not reprinting it because you've all seen it...the widely circulated and argued over picture of President Obama at the G-8 Summit supposedly checking out the bum of a teenage delegate.

First of all, I've looked at the video a dozen times. I frankly don't see it as a case of Obama Ogling. To me, he's watching the steps, waiting for the woman behind him to come down so he can take her hand and assist her. If you want to see it the other way, that's up to you. I haven't taken the video apart frame by frame or had it analyzed in a video lab. I do think all the guff about it is pretty silly.

What isn't silly at all is the debate over gays in the military and Don't Ask Don't Tell.

It makes no sense to me to send home perfectly good warriors because of their sexual orientation. And that's exactly what we've done. Numbers of troops equal to three brigades, or 35 thousand individuals, have been given their walking papers.

To what end? So other soldiers, sailors and marines don't have to worry about being propositioned? Good grief.

Personally, I don't care if someone has two heads, green skin color and a sexual orientation toward thorny roses. If they can, as Representative Patrick Murphy of Pennsylvania, puts it "handle an M-4 rifle and kick down doors" they should be allowed to serve.

Come on people. If we allow Don't Ask Don't Tell in the military, I suppose we should apply it for police and fire departments too. Particularly fire departments because, holy moley, their members bunk together! How about EMT's? If we're going to take it there, how about physicians? Nurses?

Frankly if someone is trying to save my life, it doesn't make a whit of difference to me who they live with, partner with or party with.

If they're risking their lives for our country, God Bless them whoever they are.

No comments: