Thursday, June 16, 2011

Congress and Casting Stones

So it looks like Congressman Weiner is out.

Reports in the New York Times and elsewhere say the pec-and-ab-displaying Democrat will resign after long discussions with his wife and amid threats that his colleagues planned to strip him of his committee assignments. Probably not the kind of stripping he's used to . . . but, I digress.

Yeah, he's a creep for playing around with other women while married and for the unpardonable sin of lying about it when the media came calling. Now he bows out in disgrace and goes to spend time in rehab or taking long walks on the beach. Can a nasty, but quiet, divorce be far behind?

Here's my take.

I wonder how many others in Congress are guilty of the same thing . . . or worse? Were any of those esteemed statesmen (and undoubtedly stateswomen) among the "colleagues" who urged him to quit? Of course they were!

I suspect more than a few of the finger-pointing media have their own sexual peccadillos to hide. Sure they have a job to do but, do they have the moral right to criticize anyone else? Just askin'.

Final question...what serious issues, what criminal acts, what real wrongs have gone uninvestigated and unreported while the media and pundits have been dancing all over Weiner's weiner?

Is it too much for a disgusted public to ask that we get back to the business of news sometime soon?

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I am with you I hope it goes away... but had the new media not stayed on it then the story would have went away but not him. I don't know about you but I expect people that I vote to represent me to at least have a few morals. There is little doubt that many in congress and the new media have "their own sexual peccadillos to hide" but until some women or guy who wants their 15 minutes of fame steps forward we will never know.