Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Guns, Guns and More Guns

If the U.S. Supreme Court overturns the Chicago handgun ban when it rules in June, I'll be overjoyed.

I will also be apprehensive.

I enjoy target shooting and I agree with the folks who believe the Second Amendment gives us the right to own firearms, including handguns. I also agree, however, that there can and should be restrictions on that right.

For example, if one of my neighbors could legally own an automatic rifle, I suspect he would be out shopping for one now. To repel the hordes of whoever from raping and pillaging when the evil red menace takes over the world. Actually have two neighbors who think like that. It's sort of comforting, really. I know I'll be well protected when Mad Max comes calling. Or at least, all the shooting at that end of the street will let me know when he's in the neighborhood.

The problem is that one of those neighbors doesn't believe he needs any training to own a firearm. "I've messed around with guns since I was a kid," he told me a few weeks ago. "So now I got my FOID card, where do I go to buy a pistol?"

Some gun safety is intuitive. Assume it's always loaded. Don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Those sorts of things.

As with many activities, however, the problem arises when you don't practice. Practice handling your weapon and practice using your weapon.

If the Supreme Court throws out Chicago's gun ban, many people will buy a handgun without a moment's thought of learning how to appropriately and safely use it. They'll ooh and ahh over it, show their friends, throw it in a drawer and leave it for the next burglar who stops by to take it when they aren't home. Or worse.

Yes, you have a right to own a handgun. Absolutely. With it, however, comes responsibility to know how and when to use it. And how to store it in such a fashion that it will be available to you when necessary and not be the spoils of someone else's looting spree. Or, worse, your child's curiosity.

Serious gun owners know the rules and accept the requirements of ownership.

It's the frivolous ones who make me nervous.

But you go, Justices. Rid Chicago of Daley and the Rev JJ's law. Maybe then some of the bad guys will be a little nervous, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed! Thanks for drawing the attention to the responsibility that owning a handgun entails